Monday, November 8

Our Geoboard

I saw this idea a long time ago on No Time for Flashcards. It's a simple geoboard! The homemade one I saw used a larger board, nails and colored rubber-bands, but, since I was making this for younger kiddos than the one pictured on that blog, I made a few changes. I used small ponytail holders ($1 bargain area at Target), red thumbtacks (they have that little lip at top to help hold the ponytail holders on a little more securely) and a smaller board (because I know my preschooler would feel like he had to fill up the whole board and would get frustrated if it were too hard at first and might not try it again as happens with some fine-motor activities. I got the board for a couple of bucks at JoAnn's.)

My kiddos love this! Every once in a while when it gets quiet, I find Cutie Pie on the floor playing with this or Sweet Pea 'making a track' on it. I'm so glad Cutie Pie didn't get frustrated the first time using this and that they both find it a fun way to amuse themselves! Little do they know they are improving their coordination, using logic, math and a bit of science along with working on their fine motor skills!

One time Hubby saw the geoboard after the boys had gone to sleep and it had a 'G' on it. When he asked Cutie Pie the next morning what it was he said he made the 'G' because he wanted to! LOVE it! I think when I see his interest wain in this I will have him help make a larger one with nails and use colored rubber-bands with it!

2 comments :

  1. I like those changes you made. I saw the other post on No Time For Flashcards, but I haven't made one yet. Did you do anything special to keep the thumbtacks secure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could figure out how to just reply to a comment...no, I didn't do anything special to keep the thumbtacks secure. Didn't really think about it, but so far none have come out and it's been played with a lot for the past few weeks! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete